About 3000 people have marched down the street where Melbourne woman Jill Meagher went missing to protest at violence against women.
The night march in Brunswick on Saturday was part of the long-running global Reclaim the Night movement which condemns violence and harassment towards women.
Organisers held the event in Sydney Road where Ms Meagher disappeared last month.
Ms Meagher, 29, was killed in the early hours of September 22 during a short walk home after drinks with friends, triggering widespread public outrage.
Sianan Healy, 34, of Preston, said the march highlights that the streets are still not always safe for women.
'The Jill Meagher case has proven that to a lot of women and men as well, which is why it's become such a potent issue,' she said.
Progressive Law Network founding member Penelope Swales said it was important to raise awareness that violence against women is wrong.
'It shouldn't take a murder such as one that happened here recently to bring that to people's awareness,' she said.
Ms Swales said changes are needed to how women victims of violence are dealt with by the law.
'When they complain, they need to be taken seriously,' she said.
Writer Clementine Ford told the crowd that attitudes blaming women who have suffered violence need to change.
'Those things weren't done to Jill Meagher because she was on the street at 2am,' she said.
'They weren't done because she had been drinking or because she was wearing a dress.
'Jill Meagher was raped and murdered because somebody else decided to do it.'
Last month, about 30,000 people marched down the same thoroughfare in a tribute to Ms Meagher.
Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, of Coburg, has been charged with her rape and murder and is due to appear at a committal mention early next year.