Sydney International tournament director Craig Watson says he'd still welcome controversial Australian Bernard Tomic at his event despite revelations the teenager didn't give it his all in the opening round of the Shanghai Masters.
Tomic caused a stir on Tuesday when he conceded he only put in '85 percent' in his 6-4 6-0 loss to German Florian Mayer in China.
The 19-year-old, who was labelled 'disgraceful' by Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter after his US Open capitulation to Andy Roddick last month, won just eight points in the second set against Mayer.
'You would hope that every player on tour, seeing as though it's their living and seeing as though it's their career, that they'd be putting in 100 percent every time,' Watson told Sportal on Wednesday.
'I don't want to get drawn on comments about Bernard because there's been quite a few of them recently, and we recognise that he's got incredible talent.
'He can play and beat anyone, he just needs to keep his head focused on tennis.'
Tomic, the only teenager inside the top 100 in the men's game, peaked at No.27 in the world rankings in June but has now dropped to 43rd.
And after the 45-minute loss to Mayer he admitted his hectic schedule this season has left him feeling physically and emotionally spent.
But while Watson says all players should give maximum effort every time they take the court, he concedes he'd happily give Tomic a spot in the men's draw for the Sydney International next January.
'It's absolutely key for all of the Australian events to have on display top Australians like Sam (Stosur), like Lleyton (Hewitt) and like Bernard; it's just absolutely important,' Watson said.
'Love them or hate them ... good and bad, the public still likes to see top Australians play at their home.
'So absolutely it wouldn't distract us at all, we'd love to have him here.'
While Tomic and Hewitt are yet to commit to the Sydney event, World No.8 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will headline the men's draw after signing up on Wednesday.
'To have Jo-Wilfried Tsonga confirmed this early is a big win for us,' Watson said of the popular Frenchman.
'We haven't had Jo here for a couple of years now and for him to decide on Sydney as his preparation going into the Australian Open, it's absolutely fantastic.'
Meanwhile, world No.9 Stosur has committed to the Sydney International which traditionally draws a star-studded women's field.
'Every year the tournament is tough, the cut off is around 25 in the world so you really jump straight in the deep end there,' Stosur said.
'Going into the first grand slam of the year you want to be playing the best in the world and that always happens in Sydney.'