A judge has agreed to adjourn the child sex trial of triple murderer Max Sica until Monday to allow his lawyers to obtain expert medical opinion.
In the Brisbane District Court, Judge Michael Shanahan agreed to adjourn Sica's trial until Monday to allow his lawyers to obtain expert opinions on a Crown report which found it was possible for the girl's hymen to have remained intact after sexual penetration.
Sica, 42, has pleaded not guilty to 21 charges including rape and maintaining a sexual relationship with a child between 2004 and 2008.
The girl was aged between nine and 13 when the offences allegedly took place at various locations in Brisbane's northern and western suburbs.
Sica is serving a 35-year non-parole jail sentence after a Supreme Court jury found him guilty in July of the 2003 murders of his ex-girlfriend Neelma Singh, 24, and her siblings Kunal, 18, and Sidhi, 12.
The media are able to report Sica's murder convictions in his current trial because it is before a judge only and there is no jury.
The trial was to resume on Wednesday when the Crown was to begin showing six days of taped police interviews involving the girl.
However, barrister Sam Di Carlo, for Sica, said he had been unable to confer with two experts about a report by Crown witness Jan Connors.
Mr Di Carlo said the defence hoped to call two experts to refute or comment on Dr Connors' findings, which involved the girl's hymen remaining intact despite sexual penetration.
The barrister said the report had been given to the defence only last Friday and he needed more time to get expert comment.
Judge Shanahan said he was worried Mr Di Carlo would be splitting his concentration if the Crown began showing the police interview tapes before the barrister had his own experts' opinions.
'She (Dr Connors) is plainly a significant witness in the Crown case,' the judge said, noting she was an expert in sexual abuse matters.
Judge Shanahan said he could not see the Crown would be disadvantaged by an adjournment.
Prosecutor Todd Fuller agreed he would be at no disadvantage.
Judge Shanahan said the trial would definitely start on Monday no matter what the situation with the defence experts.